Saturday, March 15, 2008

HOWTO Upgrade the Firmware on your Nokia N95 and use VOIP

After being really fed up with my provider, Orange, and their complete lack of interest in supplying branded firmware updates, I de-branded my Nokia N95 and upgraded the firmware to Nokia's release - Mainly to have a play with VOIP.

Since I didn't find the information too easy to find, here's what I did -

Followed the instructions in this blog post to de-brand and upgrade the firmware :

http://clear-nokia.blogspot.com/2007/05/nokia-n95-debranding-guide.html

Set-up a Skype account (Yes, I am ungeeky/old enough not to have set-up and used Skype yet...) and lastly, I installed Fring on the moby as the client to use for VOIP (It also is a useful wee IM/chat/twitter client too)

Apart from that, the only thing that wasn't obvious was the need to make sure the numbers in my contact list were stored with the country code prefix, i.e. +44141xxxyyyyy for a Glasgow, UK number.

Now it's all sorted it works really quite seamlessly.

No comments: