Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Crohn Can Keep his Disease to Himself Thank You Very Much

So, my Gastro consultant says a biopsy I had taken on my colonoscopy (Done on Christmas Eve, 2007, what a great early Christmas present), shows signs of Crohn's Disease. Bit of a pain in the arse in more ways than one!

Thinking about this reminds of that scene at the start of City Slicker's, when Billy Crystal - demonstrating signs of the mid-life crisis so collossal that dressing up as a cowboy was need to resolve it - relates the escalation of old age beginning in your 30s with surgery, which you call a 'procedure'.

It seems in your teens nothing is bigger than the angst of not getting enough of everything your not supposed to do. In your 20s you get some cash, enjoy yourself and don't much worry about your health - you seem to be able to drink what you want, eat what you want and generally be OK providing you spend the first half of both Saturday and Sunday sleeping.
Then you get to the 30s and it's all work, spending, earning and never seeming to have enough dosh and then more visits to various doctors and consultants and then an odd condition like this.

I suppose the irritating thing is, once you develop Crohn's your stuck with the bugger. It can be put into remission by treatment but it's always waiting to jump out and get you again. And it seems the majority of folk end up with some sort of bowel surgery - not the most attractive medical proposition. Still, it doesn't kill you, so it could be a lot worse and Anastascia seems fine on it : )

So, I'm now on 4 x 1.2g (Yes, 4.8g folks) of Mesalazine every morning (Reducing to half that after 8 weeks if it is working OK). Basically, this is like swallowing 4 jelly beans with your breakfast, and I'm not talking the itsy bitsy Jelly Belly ones.

So, fingers crossed it works OK - I'm sure it will and that I have a pretty mild case. And I'll be doing all I can to ensure it stays that way, beleive me.

http://www.ulcerativecolitis.org.uk

No comments: